Faculty/Staff Advisor Role
Below is a general outline of the role of a Faculty/Staff advisor. This vital position works closely with chapters on their overall scholarship program including the following:
- Assist the chapter in developing an overall scholarship program.
- Meet with the new members each semester to review their academic progress and plans at the university.
- Assist with developing any scholarship recognition program for the chapter.
- Assist the chapter in developing an Academic Incentives program.
- Attend any scholarship receptions the chapter hosts.
- Be available to meet with individual members who are in need of academic assistance.
- Attend two (2) chapter meetings/dinners each semester to get to know the members and the members to get to know the Faculty/Staff advisor.
- Faculty/Staff advisors are fully covered under the university's liability policy while acting in the scope of a Faculty/Staff advisor.
- Most inter/national fraternities and sororities also provide liability coverage for faculty/staff acting in the scope as Faculty/Staff advisors (it is always a good practice to check with the inter/national organization for the specifics of this coverage).
- Faculty/Staff advisors serve one-year terms with possible extensions based on a mutual agreement between the fraternity or sorority and the faculty/staff advisor. This ensures that both parties (the Faculty/Staff advisor and the chapter) are constantly assessing the working relationship.
- Faculty/Staff advisors are not expected to serve as the chapter advisor nor to serve on the alumni board (if they wish to serve in these positions that would be great but it is not expected).
- Faculty/Staff advisors are not on call nor are they responsible for the social aspects of the chapter.
This outline for a Faculty/Staff advisor is meant to be a starting
point for what is expected. Ideally, the Faculty/Staff advisor and the chapter will sit down and work a list of specific duties that both can mutually agree upon.
View the entire Elon University Student Organization advisor Handbook
Outstanding Faculty/Staff Advisor Award
Each spring, a Faculty/Staff advisor may be nominated by the chapter for the Outstading Faculty/Staff advisor Award. A student selection committee will make the decision as to the recipient, and the award will be presented at the spring Greek Awards Ceremony.
Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life Support for Faculty/Staff Advisors
In order to have a viable Faculty/Staff advisor program, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life provides tangible support for their faculty/staff advisors. The following is a list of resources that will be made available:
- Requiring that each group have a faculty/staff advisor annually.
- Establishing a Faculty/Staff advisors Listserve for advisors to communicate and share resources and ideas.
- Provide regular updates to faculty/staff advisors from Greek Life on academic issues.
- Provide faculty/staff advisors with a list of the chapter member's GPA's each semester (assuming members have signed a grade release form).
- Provide an Academic Awards program for individuals and chapters.
- Track each chapter's Academic Incentives they offer to their members and compare to the rest of the Greek Community.
- Provides an Outstanding Faculty advisor/Staff Award each year.
- Provides an Academic Honor Society for Greeks called the Order of Omega (jr. or sr. status & GPA above all Greek average).
This list is not exhaustive but meant to show some tangible support for Faculty advisors.
For more information about Faculty/Staff advisors, please contact Dan Faill, Director of Fraternity & Sorority Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.